Picture

Picture

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Girly Dresser

This dresser has been passed around in my family for many many years.  I think I'm the third and fifth owner or something like that.  One of my older sisters used it when she was young, and at that time it was just plain wood without any paint or finish.  I could be wrong because when I saw it in that condition I was probably wearing training pants and princess jammies.

So it was passed on to another older sister (yes, there are 5 of us girls) and she was a crafty little kook.  She was always painting her room and stuff.  Anyway she gave this poor little dresser it's first white paint job and added some little cut outs from the wallpaper that had recently been put up to match her room.

It was then passed on to me, who did absolutely nothing with it because I thought the '90's roses and ribbons were the most beautiful things EVER!  And so it stayed for years and years.  Well, last year, Mom called and asked if I wanted "that little old dresser" and, about to have baby #2, I said that I did.

Here's what the old girl looks like now.  As you can see, there is laundry on top and miscellaneous items on the floor.  I told you, I'm real. just because I'm taking a picture doesn't mean I have to clean the entire room and vacuum and all that crap. The picture is fuzzy, the lighting is bad, and I believe that it's also crooked.  I'm no photographer.

Now I've turned into a crafty kook like my sister and wanted to give it a little bit more charm.  I scraped off the wall paper, (btw, sis, it was a chore. Ya really got it on there, didn'tcha?) and gave it a fresh coat of white.  Then, I cut some old brown sheets just big enough to wrap around the front panel of the drawer.  I used a very precise mixture of two different dangerous chemicals that you have to be super smart to mix.  Ok, it was half Elmer's Glue and half water.  And used it as a modge podge.  Next came the green ribbon stems, which I used hot glue just on the ends.  The ribbons are satin and I didn't want to see a squiggly line of glue underneath.  Wherever the stems would pass over the whole for the drawer pull, I cut the ribbons ends in a V shape to leave a whole for the screw.  I was afraid that the screw would....screw up my satin ribbons and fray them.  For the flowers I just cut out some really big circles and folded about two or three of them into fourths for each pedal.  The pink satin has scalloped edges.  I made the butterfly with some more satin ribbon and just stuck it on there with more hot glue, and then got some help from my Daddy-o to screw on some plain wood drawer pulls.  Easy peasy.  That's how I like it.

3 comments:

  1. So was it Katie or Trina? :) Very Cute BTW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie painted it white and put the wallpaper on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your projects! You have such a fun and artistic eye…this dresser turned out so dang cute! :)

    ReplyDelete